Monday 29 January 2018

Family Tree

I held his hand as we entered the pastel blue house, the interior of my childhood home almost bringing me to tears as my mind flooded with memories from my younger years. He felt it, too, as he gripped my hand a little bit tighter and smiled brightly at me.

“I missed coming back home with you, sis,” He says, his eyes glittering as a smirk danced on his lips.

“Did you miss teasing me about my boyfriends or stealing all of the snacks I packed?” I counter, making him laugh and turn away from me.

“Hi, Ma,” he greets our mother, embracing her tightly. “Did you miss your favourite child?”

“HEY! You two aren’t her favourite, I am!” Nat screams in dismay, running down the stairs. We all laugh at this, seeing her face scrunch up and turn a light shade of pink as her eyes glare at my brother. My mother strides towards me, pulling me in for a hug. My brother picks Nat up and puts her on his shoulders, letting her legs dangle across his chest before sprinting to the backyard.

“He hasn’t changed,” I comment in a whisper, audible for my mother’s ears only. She rolls her eyes and nods before the doorbell rings. A sly smirk made its way to my mother’s red lips, a twinkle starting in her eyes. She motions by jerking her head for me to open the door and greet our unexpected guest.

“Harrison?” I mutter in surprise as I look outside the window. I open the door to greet him, and am immediately brought to an embrace.

“Hello!” His voice is warm and loud, making my heart flutter. “It’s been a while since we’ve last met!”

I try and fail to muster a single word as Harrison walks past me to embrace my mother. They start talking about something, my brain not quite able to decipher the exchange of words currently occurring as tingles run down my spine. My brother enters the living room, Nat still on his shoulders. His eyes go wide when he spots Harrison and dart towards me, a grin appearing as he shakes Harrison’s hand firmly.

“Harrison! Nice surprise, seeing you here!” My brother greets before turning to me. “A very nice surprise.”

“I swear, I come with good intentions,” Harrison jokes, giving my brother a light punch on the arm. My mother swiftly leaves the room to the kitchen and takes out the roast turkey to put on the dining table. She urges us to join her and sit down, a suggestion with which we have no trouble complying.

“Say grace, Matt?” My mother asks my brother, clasping her hands together and bowing her head.

“Lord, thank You for providing us food and allowing us to gather here to praise and worship You. May we use the blessings You have bestowed upon us to live by your word. Please help Harrison and Octavia to finally get together and make many Christian babies. In Your name, we pray. Amen.”

I kick him from under the table, his mouth already stuffed with turkey and potatoes. He shrugs at me as if he was an innocent saint, making my blood boil.

“Well, sis,” Matt starts after he finishes swallowing, making all of us turn to him. “We all know Harrison came here today to expand our family tree.”


Katya Tjahaja

No comments:

Post a Comment

To be is the answer (if to be or not to be is the question)

I’ve always worn my heart on my sleeve. I’m absolutely crap at hiding my feelings. Dad described this as the storm clouds gathering but he ...