Monday 29 January 2018

Family Time


“Yes honey, at 4:30pm. That’s when we’ll have dinner. What are you bringing?”

“What do you want, Mom?”

“Well I was thinking about beef stroganoff?”

“Sure. I”ll bring that.”

“Great! Don’t follow that old recipe though – remember, I don’t like sour cream. Too much fat.”

“Mom. Stroganoff has sour cream.”

“But I never use sour cream in it and it turns out just fine.”

“OK. Stroganoff without the sour cream. Anything else?”

“A salad perhaps?”

“OK…”

“Without lettuce. You know I don't like lettuce.”

“Right. What kind of salad would you like then?”

“A caesar salad is always nice…”

“Without lettuce??”

“Of course, honey. The way it’s usually done.”

“Mom – caesar salad is done with romaine lettuce.”

“Can’t you use something else?

She tried not to sigh too audibly.

“Sure. I’ll try. What’s everyone else bringing?”

“I don’t know – I haven’t asked them to bring anything. You know your brother doesn’t like to cook, and his wife certainly can’t…”

“Really? I think they’re great cooks!”

“Every time they bring something I have to throw it out. Too rich.”

“Who else is coming?”

“No one, just us as usual for the new year.”

“Ok. I’ll see you then, Mom.”

“Looking forward to our family time!” she chirped before hanging up.

It was four years ago to the day since they had had that conversation, and she remembered it like yesterday as she took the meat out of the refrigerator.

“Stroganoff, Mommy? Are we having stroganoff?”

“Yes, honey, our usual new year meal.”

“Yay! I can’t wait!”

“Hey hon, here’s the sour cream,” he said as he kissed her cheek. His skin was cold from the winter air.

“For what?” she asked.

“The stroganoff,” he said.

“I don’t use sour cream.”

“But sweetheart, stroganoff has…..” he trailed off as he saw her eyes well with tears.

“Right. Your Mom’s stroganoff. You know we’ll have to find a different name for that, right?” he teased.

She smiled as he wiped the tear from her cheek.

“Family time!” she called, and they all came running.



Jasmin Webb


No comments:

Post a Comment

To be is the answer (if to be or not to be is the question)

I’ve always worn my heart on my sleeve. I’m absolutely crap at hiding my feelings. Dad described this as the storm clouds gathering but he ...